Shanta Durga Temple of Devi / Shakti in the form of Durga Near National Highway No.17B,, Kavlem, Ponda, north goa-403401

The temple is dedicated to Shantadurga, the goddess who mediates between Vishnu and Shiva.

Temple Etiquette

  • Footwear not allowed inside

    Footwear not allowed inside
    ---------------------
    Footwear to be left outside the temple. In summer be careful of the hot paving stones.

  • Prasad and donation

    Prasad and donation
    ---------------------
    Use your right hand to accept prasad and give donations. The left hand is considered unclean in India.

  • Dress conservatively

    Dress conservatively
    ---------------------
    Avoid shorts, skirts, tanktops and do not expose legs.

  • Restricted entry

    Restricted entry
    ---------------------
    Entry is normally restricted to temple priests in the sanctum sanctorum. Some temples restrict the entry of non-Hindus

  • Avoid cellphones

    Avoid cellphones
    ---------------------
    Use of cell phones is restricted normally. Photography is restricted in some temples.

  • Circumambulation or pradakshina

    Circumambulation or pradakshina
    ---------------------
    Devotees are to walk around the sanctum sanctorum in a clockwise direction


About Shanta Durga Temple

This temple is dedicated to Shri Shantadurga, the goddess who mediates between Lord Vishnu and Lord Shiva. Goddess Shri Shantadurga is also called as Santeri.  She is the avatar of the Shri Jagdamba Devi,  who had come to make peace (Shanti) between Lord Vishnu and Lord Shiva.
According to the Legends, once there was a battle between Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu. The battle was so dangerous that Lord Brahma prayed to Goddess Parvathi to intervene and stop this war.  Hence, Goddess Shanta Durga placed Lord Vishnu on her right hand and Lord Shiva on her left hand and settled the fight.
The idol of the Goddess  Shantadurga  is seen holding two serpents in each hand ,representing Lord Vishnu and Lord Shiva. It is also said that Shantadurga of Keloshi had gone to Sankhwal, a village in Salcette Taluk, to kill a demon named Kalantak,  who was harassing the Brahmins. As a reward, she was given the name of Vijaya.  Shri Vijayadurga shrine was located in Sankhwal along with Shri Shantadurga and Shri LakshmiNarsimha,  but was later shifted to a place called Kerim in Ponda Taluk, during the Portuguese invasions.
It is said that Goddess Shanta Durga is the family deity of  the Konkani Saraswats, Karhade Brahmins, Maharishi Saraswathis (Mahe Gotra), Vishyawani from (Kokan region of Maharastra and Goa) and Bhandaris.
 

Places

Utorda Beach

Utorda Beach Utorda, Goa 403713, north goa, North Goa (Dist), Goa

Utorda Beach is situated in the vicinity of the popular Colva Beach and serves as a link between Arossim Beach and Majorda Beach. Surrounded by palm trees, this beach is known for its sand.

Holy spirit Church

Holy spirit Church Borda, Margao Borda Goa, 403601, Margao, South Goa (Dist), Goa

The Church of Holy Spirit was originally built at the site of a Hindu temple in 1565, but was later destroyed by Muslim forces. The intricate carvings and beautifully decorated interiors are a sigh to behold. The redos inside the church are dedicated to the Virgin Mary and span the entire length of the floor to the ceiling. The church is open to the public during daytime.

Colva Beach

colva beach Colvá, Goa., Margao, South Goa (Dist), Goa

Colva is a hamlet, recognised by one of the largest Goan beaches. watching the sun set from the beach is popular. Tourists can also engage in fishing and adventure activities like parasailing, jet skiing and boat rides.

Basilica of Bom Jesus

Basilica of Bom Jesus Old Goa Rd, Near Gandhi Circle, Old Goa, Goa, 403402, Old Goa, North Goa (Dist), Goa

Basilica of Bom Jesus, often called as Basilica of Good Jesus, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Possessing the example of Baroque architecture, the church is India’s first minor basilica named after infant Jesus.

Dr. Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary

Dr. Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary Chorao, Goa 403102, north goa, North Goa (Dist), Goa

Dr. Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary is located at a distance of 5 km from Panjim on the island of Chorao near Mandovi River. This sanctuary has been named after the Indian ornithologist Dr. Salim Ali. The smallest bird sanctuary in India, it is spread over an area of 1.8 sq.km. The sanctuary houses around 400 species of birds including both local and migratory. The sanctuary is blessed with many overflowing water streams and tributaries.

Varca beach

Varca Beach Fatrade Colva, Goa, Varca, South Goa (Dist), Goa

It is also one of the longest beaches of South Goa. Varca beach is the cleanest coolest and most silent beach. There are good restaurants in the vicinity address and atmosphere is quite hygienic. The soft white sandy beach is a major draw for several tourists.

Dona Paula Beach

Dona Paula Beach Goa, north goa, North Goa (Dist), Goa

The beach has gained popularity for being a prominent shooting location for several Indian films. Jet-skiing and parasailing can also be done here. Shops located in the vicinity of the beach sell straw hats, feni, lace handkerchiefs, port wine and spices. Sunbathing at the beach below an umbrella is also popular.

Miramar Beach4

Miramar Beach Panjim, Goa, north goa, North Goa (Dist), Goa

Miramar Beach is located at a distance of 3 km from Panjim city in North Goa. The beach lies along the riverfront on the broad way road Dayanand Bandodkar Marg, which has been named after the first chief minister of Goa.

Cavelossim Beach

Cavelossim Beach Cavelossim, Goa, Cavelossim, South Goa (Dist), Goa

Lovely clean beach with almost white sand. Not very crowded. Lot of open stretches to walk down.

Goa Archaeological Museum

Archaeological Museum Goa, Goa Velha, North Goa (Dist), Goa

Goa Archaeological Museum, built in mid-sixties is famous as the Christian Art Museum. The eight galleries located in the museum have been segregated into eight separate sections. Collections of the museum also include a St. Peter wooden statue, rare collection of Hindu gods and goddesses, a statue of Lord Vishnu with Goddess Laxmi and Garuda. The museum was a result of collaboration between Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage and Calouste Gulbentian of Portugal.

Viceroy's Arch

Viceroy's Arch Divar Ferry Road, Old Goa, 403402, Old Goa, North Goa (Dist), Goa

Viceroy's Arch is situated at a distance of 20 km from Candolim Beach along NH4A. This arch made of laterite and green granite was constructed by the Portuguese immediately after arriving in Goa. This beautifully carved front of the building has an alcove which houses a stone statue of Vasco da Gama. The back part of this building has a statue of Argonaut. The original arch was renovated several times and the arch which stands today is the arch which was rebuilt in 1954.

Naval Aviation Museum

Naval Aviation Museum Bogmalo Road Mormugao, Goa 403806, Mormugao, South Goa (Dist), Goa

Naval Aviation Museum, one of the only two military aviation museums in India. Tracing the history and evolution of Indian Navy over the years, the museum has an expansive and comprehensive collection.

Goa State Museum

Goa State Museum Off Ourem Road, EDC Complex, Pato, Panaji, 403001, Panaji, North Goa (Dist), Goa

It was nice to visit Museum and to see the artifacts of Portugal history in Goa.The monuments are such a beautiful things to see and just the thing to remember for our future memories.

Bishop's Palace

Bishop's Palace Althino Panaji (Panjim), Goa, Panaji, North Goa (Dist), Goa

The Bishop's palace and is the residence of the Archbishop of Goa. Its construction was begun in 1886 and completed in 1894 and was constructed to reflect the elevation of the Archbishop to a patriarch.

Reis Magos Fort

Reis Magos, Goa., north goa, North Goa (Dist), Goa

Reis Magos Fort is situated at a distance of about 6.4 km from Candolim Beach and was built by the Portuguese in 1551. The fort was built in order to protect the location where Mandovi River becomes narrow and permits entry of seafaring vessels into the river. This Fort has now been renovated into a security prison where entry is not allowed.

.

Review this Temple